Supporting Glen Vowell and Gitanyow On Reserve Land Management
The Lands department works with Bond Councils. Decisions with respect to the disposition of land are made at the Band Council level, after which the matter is referred to INAC for final approval.
INAC provides funding under the Reserve Lands & Environmental Management Program (RLEMP). Operating under RLEMP, the Lands Officer (currently filled by Diane McRae) at the Gitksan Government Commission works with the Glen Vowell, and Gitanyow Bands. Kispiox Band and Gitanmaax have their own Lands Officers to manage their lands.
Authority & Responsibility
RLEMP provides for co-management of reserve lands, with the local Lands Officer sharing responsibilities with ISC staff. There are no delegated authorities to the Lands Officer or Bands for land management responsibilities, rather, ISC (or the Minister) maintains full accountability.
The Lands Officer will :
- provide assistance to the Band Councils, staff, members and ISC for preparation of documents, execution, and processing of documents relating to land transactions. Land related transactions may include simple land transfers or more complex processes and requirements relating to estates, leases, designations and expropriations.
- research the history of land holdings and land transactions to provide Band Councils with information to make decisions with the confines of their authority under RLEMP.
- provide assistance in preparation of documents relating to lands surveys, allotments of land, and issuance of certificates of possession.
- ensure maintenance of files and conduct on-line research for lands registered within the Indian Land Registry System.
- complete necessary tasks, activities, documentation and consultation to advance Additions to Reserves projects.
- assist in the development internal Band Land Management Policies within the Band’s limited authorities.
- develop transparent, fair, defendable processes for addressing unregistered land interests.
- provide information and assistance for resolution of outstanding estates or new estates that have registered land interests.
- provide information on the status of lands prior to development.
- provide assistance for the completion of environmental studies and environmental remediation for Addition to Reserve projects.